Cristiano Rolando escapes US rape trial

An American judge has decided to reject the opening of the lawsuit for rape in the case of the Portuguese footballer Cristiano Rolando, on the grounds that the lawyer of the woman who accuses him was based on illegally obtained records. Kathryn Mayorga claims that the Manchester United footballer raped her at a hotel in Las Vegas in 2009, reports BBC.

Ronaldo, who denies the allegations, has never been indicted by prosecutors for lack of conclusive evidence.

He allegedly reached an amicable settlement with the alleged victim in 2010. Only nine years after the alleged acts, the woman decided to ask for millions of dollars in addition to the $ 375,000 she initially received. Kathryn Mayorga argued that, although she agreed to the amicable settlement shortly after the alleged incident, the emotional trauma at the time did not allow her to participate in the mediation process and she felt pressured to accept the offer.

Prior to filing the complaint, her lawyer, Leslie Stovall, received “illicitly obtained” information and documents that were confidential and private, argued U.S. District Judge Jennifer Dorsey. The magistrate said that the lawyer harmed Cristiano Ronaldo, because he behaved in “bad faith” by repeatedly using stolen private documents to continue the case.

lawyer leslie stovall profimedia-0389695975
Leslie Mark Stovall, Kathryn Mayorga’s lawyer, allegedly acted in “bad faith” in the rape of Cristiano Ronaldo, a US judge ruled Photo: Profimedia Images

In a 42-page ruling, published on Friday, Judge Dorsey accused lawyer Leslie Stovall of abusing and blatantly circumventing the proper litigation procedure and, accordingly, ruled that Kathryn Mayorga “lost the opportunity to continue this case.” .

Last year, too, a judge recommended dismissing the case because of the behavior of lawyer Leslie Stovall.

Kathryn Mayorga reported an assault to Las Vegas police in 2009, but declined to say where the attack took place and who the attacker was. As a result, the police were unable to conduct a significant investigation. The allegations were re-investigated in 2018, at her request.

In 2017, however, an article appeared in the German magazine Der Spiegel stating that in 2010 the alleged victim had reached an out-of-court settlement with the footballer under which he agreed never to make the allegations public.

Her lawyer said the woman changed her mind and decided to open the case, inspired by the #MeToo movement.

Cristiano Ronaldo, now 37, did not deny meeting Kathryn Mayorga in Las Vegas in 2009, but said that what happened between them was mutually agreed upon.

Editor: Luana Pavaluca

#Cristiano #Rolando #escapes #rape #trial

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.